- September 10, 2021
Everyone loves a bright, white smile. However, maintaining pearly white teeth is tricky because some of your favorite foods and drinks cause staining because they contain a chemical compound called chromogens. In general, if something you ingest can stain your clothes, it can also darken your teeth. To get a natural smile makeover, you should focus on avoiding these foods and drinks:
Coffee and Tea — because they contain acid, both of these popular drinks (whether served hot or cold) can wear away at your enamel and stain your teeth.
Cola — it doesn’t matter what brand you prefer or if it’s diet or regular, cola drinks cause problems because they combine dark coloring and acid.
Red Wine — the story is the same for your favorite type of vino. The discoloration is caused by the intense color of the drink.
Juice — just like red wine, juice made from grapes can cause problems.
Berries — while they are a healthy snack option, be aware that they can cause tooth discoloration.
Tomato-Based Sauces — the pigment that produces the dark red color of tomato-based sauces can also stain your teeth.
Curry – the spices that give curry its great flavor can also lead to discoloration of your tooth enamel.
The good news is there are steps you can take even after enjoying some of the foods and drinks on the no-no list to fight tooth staining.
- Immediately rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking something that is known to cause discoloration.
- Chewing sugar-free gum can help stimulate the production of saliva, which helps remove substances from your teeth.
- If you choose a cold cola or juice, use a paper straw to limit the contact the liquid has with your teeth.
- Select drinks and food that don’t stain your teeth, such as water, crunchy fruits and veggies (apples, carrots, cauliflower, celery) and nuts.
- Maintaining regular tooth brushing practices along with whitening toothpaste can help remove stains from your teeth before they set in.
- Visit your dentist bi-annually for a thorough teeth cleaning and examination.
Dentist Near Joliet, Illinois
Are you looking for options for teeth whitening near Joliet? Call Shorewood Family Dental Care at 815-725-5991 or book an appointment online.