- June 14, 2015
Lasers can bring to mind images from science fiction movies. How many times have we seen robots take down assailants with laser beaming out of their eyes? Or cheer on the good guys when they use lasers to save the day? In real life, did you know dental lasers are an effective tool to diagnose and treat oral health problems?
At Shorewood Family Dental Care, we use dental lasers as part of our safe, hygienic treatment programs.
Why are Lasers Useful in Dentistry?
For many patients, just the thought of drilling is terrifying. That’s one of the reasons we incorporate lasers when appropriate. A laser can replace a traditional drill in many procedures and have a number of other benefits.
Our high tech dental lasers use a gentle laser pulse on the surface of your teeth. Subtle differences in the time it takes for the light to bounce back from the surface of your teeth indicate a change in the surface. This process enables us to catch cavities much earlier in their formation so we have a better chance to treat cavities without the need to fill them.
There are many benefits of laser dental treatment. The lasers we use:
- Cause less pain in some cases, which means eliminating the need for a local anesthesia.
- Reduce bleeding and swelling when used to treat soft tissues, such as your gums.
- Offer incredible precision. When used during the performance of a cavity treatment, we can preserve more of your healthy portions of your tooth.
- Are silent so they are less intimidating, unlike the noise produced by traditional drills.
Safety and Comfort First, Especially in Trying Times
We understand that for many people seeking dental care can cause anxiety. The addition of the risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic may cause some people to delay preventative and urgent dental care.
There is no need to be afraid of going to the dentist to get the care you need. At Shorewood Family Dental Care, we carefully follow and exceed standard COVID-19 protocols to provide safe dental care. For example, we recently updated our HVAC system and implemented strict personal protective equipment guidelines with patient safety in mind.
The use of lasers is also part of our focus on providing a more comfortable and accurate course of treatment.
If you’re still leery about coming to the dentist, Shorewood Family Dental Care offers sedation dentistry that enable even the most skittish patients to take advantage of the cutting-edge tech we use in our practice to provide caring, comfortable treatments for a range of oral health problems.
We offer three types of sedation dentistry:
- Inhalation Sedation – nitrous oxide or “laughing gas.”
- Oral Sedation at the Dentist – A sedative pill (taken an hour before your appointment).
- IV Sedation – Intravenous delivery of a sedative to induce a profound sense of relaxation in patients with extreme dental anxiety or dental phobia. It is also useful for patients requiring many procedures in one appointment.
Take the Next Step
Don’t let fear of seeking dental care stop you from being proactive about your oral health. Small problems can quickly become major issues without preventive dentistry. Why avoid a cleaning if it means you don’t need a root canal?
Shorewood Family Dental Care is a full-service, family-friendly dental practice. We’ve made investments in technology from imaging to dental lasers to COVID-19 safeguards to ensure your convenience, comfort, and improved levels of care.
Call 815-725-5991 of contact us online. At Shorewood Family Dental Care, we have been providing families with dental care near Joliet for over forty years. Our friendly front office staff is here to help you make you appointment and answer your questions. We look forward to treating you.